Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It Is Done

Vogue 8701
And by "IT" I mean 2012 and my latest dress.  Happy New Year,  we shall see what it has in store for us. I must admit that I've been doing a great deal of inner reflection lately*. And doing a lot of it while hand stitching on this dress.  I have a very long process post and a photo shoot of me in it to do, for sure.  However, since I've been so quiet recently I just wanted to show you what I've been working on.

Vogue 8701 View B, with a slight lengthening of the sleeve. I also added belt loops and made a matching belt. Its a silk dupioni I got on sale from Fabric Mart Fabrics for a steal. Its the bestest most obnoxious plaid ever and while it looks shiny in all the photos, its not really in real life. I'm totally wearing it to work.

I actually put a lot of my work in progress up on Instagram, but as I already stated I am planning on giving you more in depth on what I had to do to get it to fit.  Mom once told me that the simplest looking designs are the hardest to make look good.  Mom was very wise.


*A lot of it has to do with work and blogging about my sewing. I work in the I.T. industry and sewing is a completely mystifying hobby to most of my coworkers. Because I managed to teach ONE class before I had to do a lot of damage control for friends I've had multiple people at work ask "So are you going into business for yourself now?".  Trying to explain to them that making the kind of money I do in I.T. would be almost impossible and I'm not exactly in a position to strike out on my own on a hope and a whim was frustrating. My husband pointed out that its a way that men (and I mostly work with men) compliment you, by pointing out that you are good enough at said skill to be marketable.

But anywho, all that to say that I've been trying to find a way continue my education for work and have the skill apply to both blogging and my "day" job.  Can't really go into more detail than that, other than 2013 is going to be a very interesting year. Hopefully a good interesting. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! And I can't wait for the write up. I adore your plaid, but I am sad, I would never have bought something like it... must start thinking outside the square!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I got over my fear of color a whole world opened up. I highly recommend coloring outside the lines!

      Delete